Referred to the House Transportation Committee on January 30, 2019
Amendment offered by Rep. Nicole Macri (Seattle) (D) on March 12, 2019 Permits the operation of a motorized foot scooter on a sidewalk if authorized by a local ordinance.
(2) Prohibits motorized foot scooters from being operated on a trail that is specifically designated as nonmotorized and that has a natural surface tread that is made by clearing and grading the native soil with no added surfacing materials, unless a local authority or agency with jurisdiction over the trail permits it.
(3) Prohibits individuals under the age of 16 years from operating a motorized foot scooter unless permitted by a local jurisdiction.
(4) Mandates a maximum speed limit of 15 miles per hour for motorized foot scooters operated on a roadway or bicycle lane.
(5) Permits local jurisdictions to determine the maximum speed limit for motorized foot scooters operated on sidewalks and pedestrian and bicycle trails, if their operation on sidewalks and pedestrian and bicycle trails is authorized by the local jurisdiction.
(6) Includes in the nonexhaustive list of methods that local authorities can use to regulate the operation of motorized foot scooters and shared scooters: The determination of whether shared scooters may be operated in a local authority's jurisdiction, and if so, where shared scooters may be operated in it; and requiring scooter share operators to pay reasonable fees and taxes, in place of requiring them to pay fees.
(7) Removes the limitation that penalties may not exceed bicyclist penalties for moving and parking violations involving shared scooters.
The amendment passed by voice vote in the House on March 12, 2019