Washington Votes Forum

Discuss issues, ideas and legislation related to the Evergreen State.
Welcome to Washington Votes Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:59 AM by donn13. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:15 PM

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008

2012 Senate Bill 6150 (Authorizing a facial recognition matching system for drivers' licenses, permits, and identicards)

Introduced in the Senate on January 12, 2012, authorizes the DOL to implement a facial recognition matching system for all driver’s licenses, permits, and identicards. DOL may not disclose the results from the facial recognition matching system except under limited circumstances. DOL must develop procedures to handle incidents when the facial recognition matching system fails to verify the identity of an applicant. The authority for DOL to charge an applicant a $2.00 fee for submitting a biometric identifier is repealed. The requirement that DOL implement a biometric matching system within two years of implementing the provisions of Real ID Act is removed. Beginning July 1, 2013, a Washington State driver license, endorsement, or identicard is valid for up to six years. The initial motorcycle endorsement fee and the motorcycle renewal fee is changed to reflect the issuance over a six-year period instead of five years. Fees are increased on certain state issued documents

The vote was 29 in favor, 19 opposed and 1 not voting

(Senate Roll Call 0 at Senate Journal 0)

Click here to view bill details.
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:20 PM In reply to

Re: 2012 Senate Bill 6150 (Authorizing a facial recognition matching system for drivers' licenses, permits, and identicards)

I would like to know how this bill is considered to have passed the Senate 29-19 which that is NOT a 2/3 majority. And certainly fees ARE raised to pay for this, for driver's licenses the fees increase starting in 2013 which is when I have to renew mine. I have email Pam Roach's office about this as well as Tim Eyman. Is the Senate trying to play fast and loose with our I-1053 protections? As the saying goes first it's the soap box, then the ballot box, with the cartridge box being next. If the legislature has such contempt for us voters......
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 10:33 PM In reply to

Re: 2012 Senate Bill 6150 (Authorizing a facial recognition matching system for drivers' licenses, permits, and identicards)

hammondo:
    As the saying goes first it's the soap box, then the ballot box, with the cartridge box being next. If the legislature has such contempt for us voters......
    hammondo:
    would like to know how this bill is considered to have passed the Senate 29-19 which that is NOT a 2/3 majority.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...  And now you know why we are all here, and why people (and jobs) are leaving the state.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    - John Wayne in the Shootist.

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 5:35 AM In reply to

If they will pass this bill they will have to be careful about their Network Security, there were cases when the facial recognition matching system was hacked and people deleted themselves from the database. A facial recognition system is great but there is still a long journey till this system will fully replace the biometric matching system.
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:59 AM In reply to

• donn13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 22 2013

A lot of people are concerned now if those pictures will be included in a national security database. Isn't this a step forward for undermining our privacy? I don't even know when it's time be glad of a bill of this kind and when not, I wish I was more trustful.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)