Washington Votes Forum

Discuss issues, ideas and legislation related to the Evergreen State.
Welcome to Washington Votes Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Feb 20 2013 5:26 PM by harrys1905. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:35 PM

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008

2013 House Bill 1129 (Raising vehicle registration fees for ferry vessel replacement)

Introduced in the House on January 16, 2013

Click here to view bill details.
  • Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:37 PM In reply to

• magspc
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 24 2011

Re: 2013 House Bill 1129 (Raising vehicle registration fees for ferry vessel replacement)

Never understood why the state got into the ferry business. I can see property terminal management. But why not let ferrys be a private venture? Plus makiing an additional fee (tax) on vehicles?
  • Sat, Jan 19 2013 5:31 PM In reply to

• ceoiii
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 16 2010

Re: 2013 House Bill 1129 (Raising vehicle registration fees for ferry vessel replacement)

As I understand it, back in the day the state took it over from the mosquito fleet due to the violence and racketeering that took place in the private sector over who ran ferries, who got to compete etc. Guess it got out of hand so the state stepped in and instead of adjudicating as they should have, saw a profit and usurped it. Least that's the way it was explained to me - likely I have some of that wrong. Living on Whidbey Island, we can sometimes be more dependent on the ferry so this is a little closer to home, especially since we've had to go without before. There apparently WAS money in a fund to build new ferries in this state until our esteemed governor took it for other things. Then when our ferries got beached due to safety issues, we had nothing and state gov had to panic and scramble, got us little bathtub toy ferries (keel-less lake ferries on one of the roughest runs in the state!) until they could come up with a solution for their lack of foresight. Now apparently they want us to trust them again. Bull, I say. Balance our budget, then show you know how to manage our budget, then we'll talk about trusting you again.
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 6:37 PM In reply to

Remember the ferry worker's overtime pay investigation a year or so ago? Seems like some doubled or more their regular pay, bilking the taxpayer out of more money. So the crooks that ran the old ferry system (probably union/Mafia goons) were ousted so state government could be the new crooks.
  • Wed, Feb 20 2013 5:26 PM In reply to

Always higher additional taxes, we always have to pay more. I wouldn't be surprised if the imposed more taxes for the warm weather tire care, it may sound ridiculous but at this rate apparently any tax idea can become a reality.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)