Washington Votes Forum

Discuss issues, ideas and legislation related to the Evergreen State.
Welcome to Washington Votes Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Oct 3 2012 11:11 AM by javvis. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 1 2001 12:00 AM

• admin
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008

2011 Senate Bill 5399

Introduced in the Senate on January 24, 2011

Click here to view bill details.
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 5:05 PM In reply to

Re: 2011 Senate Bill 5399

This very lengthy bill will contain multiple issues with long reaching impact.  Demands careful study and legislative consideration. 

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 8:02 PM In reply to

This bill sounds diamtetrically opposed to House Bill 1132 (not paying teachers their cola's).

Here's the thing.  I don't want some bureacratic politician judging me to tell me how much to pay me.  I know this isn't how the bill reads, but it is it's intent.  After all who is going to appoint those who "judge."

DK

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    - John Wayne in the Shootist.

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 12:03 PM In reply to

Washington state already has one of the best teacher evaluation protocols in America.  It focuses on classroom skills, is tailored to each individual teacher, and involves observations in the classroom of activities over which the teacher actually has some control.  Research tells us that 80-85% of the factors that influence learning are outside the school and beyond the control of the teacher.  Our current evaluation protocols focus on behaviors and activities over which the school actually has some control.  That the professional way to deal with the matter. 

This bill seeks to make an end run around the existing teacher evaluation system, without actually addressing the evaluation process.  Such an action is both unprofessional and disrespectful. 

• Wed, Jan 26 2011 7:43 PM In reply to

Yes the state does have a plan for evaluating teachers, However try firing a BAD teacher. Can't be done! There is so much paperwork and lawyers involved, nobody has the time or the guts to take on a wealthy union. I was on a school board and we spent 3 years trying to fire two teachers. One couldn't teach and the other wouldn't. We finally had to buy their contracts to get rid of them.

There needs to be a provision that if a teacher gets a bad evaluation, the union has to warn the teacher. If no improvement, then the teacher is fired and no union fuss.

All the money unions put out, this will probably never get accomplished.

• Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:27 AM In reply to

• bdl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 14 2010

Given the strengh of the Teacher's union in this State, this bill has about as much chance of survival as does a pretzel at a German picnic.

• Fri, Feb 4 2011 9:37 PM In reply to

I work in a school.  Teachers who teach, love teaching, know how to teach and like children should have no problem with being evaluated.  Unfortunately they only account for about 50%.  The other 50% are incompetent, mean, control freaks, lazy or some awful combination of the above.  I continually see teachers call in sick because they have days to use up, with no consideration for the students.  I see teachers change grades just to make parents go away.  I see teachers showing videos that have nothing to do with curriculum.  Are there outstanding teachers that spend extra time, their own money and do everything they can to promote learning?  Yes!  Reward that, pay that, acknowledge that, instead of paying someone more just because they managed not to get arrested in the last year.  

• Mon, Jan 9 2012 12:48 PM In reply to

Washington state teachers, through their unions and local school districts, are working out the details of new evaluation protocols for teachers and principals.  Those protocols are due to come online in the 2013-14 school year.  By then, we will have professional tools to effectively evaluate teachers and principals.  So, for now, this bill is premature, as it offers no information on what the evaluation criteria would be. 

Offering no evaluation criteria means this bill is also incomplete.  In essense, we are being asked to accept a "pig in a poke", with little or no clarification of the true nature of the content of that poke.  As was done by con men at local fairs, a person was offered a chance to "buy" a piglet, being carried in a sack by the seller.  Pigs, being very valuable sources of food, were in high demand and the seller was offering a good price.  Fearing that the pig would "escape", however, the seller refused to open the sack or poke.  Once the buyer purchased the "pig in the poke", he would discover the poke contained only a cat or dog or some other valueless animal.  The buyer had been suckered into "buying a pig in a poke".

Let's not be suckered into buying a "pig in a poke".  Let's wait for the work on new evaluation protocols to be completed and then deal with this issue with sound  and complete knowledge of what the evaluation criteria will be.  

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 9:54 PM In reply to

I applaud any attempt by anyone in this state to make teachers accountable to the students and the taxpayer. However, since the teacher unions are so powerful and the contracts they approve go to the governor for final approval, the taxpayer does not have the ability to protest any portion of the contract nor does the taxpayer know anything about it. That is what needs to be changed. Unions should be forbidden to represent all public (i.e., taxpayer supported) positions. Taxpayers, through their elected representatives have the right and the only authority to determine the salaries and benefits of public employees.
  • Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:00 PM In reply to

"and the contracts they approve go to the governor for final approval, the taxpayer does not have the ability to protest any portion of the contract nor does the taxpayer know anything about it." This comment makes it abundantly clear that you know little or nothing about the process of by which teachers contracts are negotiated and approved. Perhaps it would be good for you to learn more about this, before commenting again.
  • Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:02 PM In reply to

Bob: You should be looking into firing administrators, too. From your description, they can't do their jobs, either.
  • Wed, Oct 3 2012 11:11 AM In reply to

• javvis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 2 2012

I happen to believe that the workforce is a very important asset in every institution. It's too bad that the employment is so easily sacrificed when the companies or institutions have to deal with financial problems.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)